Grab Ahold QuestionsOh yeah, … "My deadline is Tuesday by 8pm so if you could respond before then, I would be very appreciative."
1. Should "grab ahold" be hypenated? Should there be a space between a and hold? What is the correct usage?
2. What is its origin? Is it a new construction?
3. Are there any similar constructions? Is the formation of ahold part of a larger linguistic phenomenon?
4. Have you noticed this phrase being used more often recently?
5. When do you remember first seeing it used?
6. Has its meaning or usage changed over time?
7. Please also include a brief biography of yourself or a sentence about how you would like to be cited in the column.
Could you grab me a cup of coffee while you're at it?