Monday, August 20, 2007

Frite Alors!


Mr. Verb's friend Monica here. Wanted to say that I spent some time in the lovely city of Montreal last week, attending ICHL (although I didn't really ichl and scratchl until we went camping in Maine the following weekend, but that's another story). Well, at first I didn't think Montreal was very lovely at all but after a few days I realized that that was just because we were staying in a fairly sleazy area, and if I just walked one more block past the place the talks were in I would find a very cool neighborhood with cafes and restaurants and all that kinda stuff. I did take a picture of a place of business called Pussy Corps but it came out kind of blurry so I can't share it with you. However! Montreal is certainly a center of linguistic interest, and not because of that old English-French thang they got goin' on. No, it is chock full of places like Boutique D-Structure!!! (Selling foundation garments, no doubt.) And then at Frites Alors! we learned that the paradigm is alive and well. I think I'll give that to my Ling 101 class for a homework assignment. Analyze *this*, suckers!

3 comments:

Mr. Verb said...

God, these are beautiful. Why didn't I go to Montreal?

Anonymous said...

Talk about suppletive paradigms ...

Anonymous said...

Isn't the vous form 'to slobber, drool' or something? Kinda wrecks the thing. It must mean something else ... that can't be right.