Friday, August 10, 2007

"Global war on verbs"

OK, I've still got limited email and will for a while, it looks like, but I can't let this pass: The title of the post is from TPM, and aimed at Mitt Romney's efforts to rebrand Bush's failed imperial efforts:
There's not a global war on terror. There's a global war being waged by the terrorists and if I am president, there will be a global war waged on the terrorists and we will win.
A few months ago, someone posted on another political website this question:
What next? The war on verbs & adjectives?
In fact, the phrase "war on verbs" gets lots of g-hits. Should I gather the family and head for Canada?

1 comment:

The Ridger, FCD said...

I ran across this quote on Thoughts from Kansas and immediately thought of you... (Josh has of course altered the names!)

`The question is,' said Josh, `whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,' said Logan Gage, `which is to be master -- that's all.'

Josh was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Logan Gage began again. `They've a temper, some of them -- particularly verbs: they're the proudest -- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs -- however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'