Sunday, November 28, 2010

A role for media influence in sound change?

One of the most common topics that non-linguists raise with linguists, especially if the subject is language change or dialects, is the effect of mass media: Surely dialects are dying out because of TV, etc.

In response linguists point out on a regular basis is that such influence seems to be heavily restricted: We definitely see the very rapid spread of words (cromulent), turns of phrase (too many to start on, see here) and even interjections (d'oh!) ... to pull examples just from the Simpsons, long a source of serious scholarly attention (and yes, I do mean especially HeiDeas). That kind of pretty superficial stuff aside, leading sociolinguists (like Chambers and Labov, for example) have argued that TV does not have real impact on the basic ways we talk … structural things, like pronunciation.

I had heard a few times about work going on in the UK that examines the issue very systematically and finally got around to looking it. I'm talking about a project from Glasgow, led by Jane Stuart-Smith, described in detail here. This is a quick take and I hope folks will speak up if I've missed key points …

Every good piece of research on language change reveals great new levels of complication and this looks to be no different. Glasgow adolescents who are really engaged with London-based television shows aren't picking up southern accents generally and can't imitate them. But Stuart-Smith and colleagues' …
large-scale, multifactorial statistical analysis reveals robust significant correlations between features of consonant pronunciation ([f] [v] for /θ/ /ð/ and l-vocalization) and opportunities for contact with speakers of Southern English English, specific social practices, and engaging with the popular television show, EastEnders.
They characterize what's going on as ‘linguistic appropriation from the media’, and reasonably conclude that "In fact, it emerges that very little is known about how speakers learn about the accents from speech presented in the media". I'm very curious to see how this progresses … but things are getting more complicated and I like that.

6 comments:

GAC said...

This is interesting. I would kind of like to know more about the importance of contact with dialect speakers. I, personally, am one of those people who can pick up an accent essentially by accident after a relatively short time. However episodes when this has occurred (including an amusing incident where I woke up with a Belfast accent after less than a week in Northern Ireland), there was always direct contact with dialect speakers. I don't think I have ever picked up significant dialect features from TV or other video/audio entertainment.

Also: This only happens to me in English. In Spanish and Chinese I always speak with the standards I learned in the classroom.

Mr. Verb said...

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm very curious to see the continuing work from this project, including how face-to-face contact works together with media exposure.

For some people at least, you do see this kind of effect on L2 (or beyond), I know.

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Verb said...

Yeah, everything Simpsons-connected has a jokey angle to it. What other shows have had that kind of popularity in playing with language that aren't funny, I wonder.

Matt said...

One interesting question concerns the role of"jokey" usage. I only use "cromulent" in jest, but I've used "d'oh" jokingly so much that it's lost its jokey quality and I sometimes catch myself using without intending to be humorous.

John said...

This research is very interesting. For years now linguists have been fascinated by the appropriation of high rising tone or Australian Questioning Intonation at the end of a declarative sentence by British kids. One of my kids did it until she got a job in the City of London! The obvious influence would seem to be Neighbours.
I read somewhere (Guy and Vonwiller?) that adults to whom this is directed should chill and be mindful of the fact that the usage is supposed to be inclusive.