Sunday, January 29, 2012

Menominee Language Outrage

Heard a really appalling story when I was up on the Menominee reservation this past week, involving a kid being punished for speaking Menominee in a Catholic school classroom in Shawano. The Shawano Leader published a brief article about it here.  The version I heard was a bit more extreme (I guess the Leader was trying to be fair and balanced...), so I'll be interested to see what else comes out about it.  I'm hoping it hits the news big time.

(HT to JMZ for the link to the article.)

Update 2/1/12: another article here.

4 comments:

Aaron B said...

Jeez, is it 1920 at that school?!

Mr. Verb said...

Or decades earlier? We'll stay on this topic.

Susan Barringer Wells (Vaughan) said...

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Ketapanen-not-four-letter-word/

Please everyone sign this petition on Miranda's behalf. Her mother has seen it and approves.

Language and culture are valuable. We should promote, rather than stifle them.

Monica said...

Thank you for letting me know about it! I'll also post it to my Facebook page.