Saturday, May 31, 2008

Eskimo words for uterus


Just a little goofy post to lighten things up on this blog. I came across something that has me beyond baffled. So I saw that there was a youtube video on the famous Eskimo words for snow. I thought, hey, that could be good for class, so I watched it. It goes along just fine until about 1:45, when they decide to explain what morphemes are. So they choose the obvious English word: uterus. UTERUS?!?!?!? Complete with a little silhouette of the relevant part of a woman's body and reproductive organs and an illustration of an IUD... HUH??? Not to be a Wisconsin goody two-shoes, but I find that WEIRD.

So that gives me an opening (ahem) to tell you about the best word I ever coined. You know what state a woman is in after a hysterectomy? A state of uteruslessness. Is that not a beautiful word? Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord god. First gigantic vats of grease, now this? It IS a nice word, though.

Anonymous said...

güzel takılar kapalı çarşımı

D. Sky Onosson said...

I think that really should be "utter uteruslessness" ... and then, if you flap in the middle of "utter" - well, no let's not even go there.

lynneguist said...

Struck me as a misogynistic joke--a woman w.out a uterus is in a state of uteruslessness-->utter-uselessness.